Patient Care Technician (PCT) program will most certainly prepare a graduate to work as an entry-level patient care technician (PCT) in a clinic, hospital, rehabilitation center, nursing home or long-term care (LTC) facility. As a result, graduates will be able to measure and record vital signs, perform CPR and First Aid, assist in medical examinations, perform electrocardiograms (EKGs), phlebotomy and other basic laboratory procedures. The course includes both theory and clinical training and therefore is designed to meet the National Healthcareer Association (NHA), NCCT, and New York State Education Department curriculum requirements. Graduates are prepared for the following certifications by the National Healthcareer Association (NHA)
- Certified Patient Care Technician (CPCT)
- Certified EKG Technician (CET)
- Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT)
Our PCT Course Curriculum is approved by NCCT, by the New York State Education Department (NYSED) and by the National Healthcareer Association (NHA).
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This course is designed for those (men and women) seeking employment as Patient Care Technicians (PCT). Patient Care Technicians (PCT) care for injured, physically and mentally ill, disabled or infirm patients in hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, physicians’ offices or long-term care (LTC) facilities. As a result, they perform routine tasks under the supervision of doctors, nurses and other medical professionals in monitoring the patient’s condition and providing basic patient care. Even more, the PCT plays a vital role in the healthcare delivery team since they often have more direct patient contact than any other team member including doctors and nurses.
- Minimum High School Diploma or Equivalency Diploma (GED)
- Valid (not expired) Nurse’s Aide /Assistant NY State Certification (CNA License)
- If you do not have a CNA License we suggest signing up to take our Nurse Aide Advanced program which is a combination of Nurse Aide Assistant (CNA) and Patient Care Technician (PCT) programs, but the best way is to enroll in our special program Patient Care Specialist which is a combination of Nurse Aide Assistant (CNA), Patient Care Technician (PCT), Dialysis Technician programs and it also includes a preparation for LPN Pre-Entrance Exam.
PATIENT CARE TECHNICIAN DUTIES MAY INCLUDE:
- Responding to patient calls and requests for assistance
- Bathing, dressing, grooming and assisting with personal hygiene
- Serving meals and feeding patients if they are unable to feed themselves
- Monitoring and recording vital signs – temperature, blood pressure, pulse, and respiration rates
- Observing, recording and reporting a patients’ physical, mental, and emotional condition
- Electrocardiograms (EKGs), collecting blood (phlebotomy) and other clinical tasks
- Moving patients, transferring patents to and from a bed or wheelchair and assisting with walking
- Making beds and keeping patient rooms clean and neat
- Setting up and operating therapeutic equipment and supplies
- Assisting doctors and nurses during examinations and treatments
- All Study Materials
- Uniform (1 Set) & Supplies
- Preparation for the NHA Certification Exams (Phlebotomy, EKG & PCT)
- CPR Training and preparation for CPR Certification (Exam Fee is Included)
- JOB PLACEMENT ASSISTANCE